Thursday, December 4, 2008

Teach the students we have or uphold standards?

Hey Professor Albert,
>
> I know you have said in class that we should come to you whenever we may
> have in issue within your class or of any sort. I usually do not ask for
> help from any professor but I really need MAJOR help in your course. I am
> well aware that I am very far behind in the work and I was wondering if we
> could meet ?? and possibly discuss what I can do to make up for my grade.
>
> Please & Thank You,
Student

Well, here's where the rubber meets the road: This student has been in class maybe 30% of the time and when there doesn't have anything particular to offer having not done any of the assigned work. The student has a roommate who is also in the class, and (according to the roommate) the student cannot be dragged out of bed for the mid-afternoon class.

There is no doubt that this student should not receive college credit for the work done thus far. It is possible, though highly unlikely, that the student could pull out a D- at the last minute with perfect scores on remaining assignments, but pigs could also fly.

So, what is one to do? The dimwitted Peter Sacks (author of Generation X Goes to College) would get angry at the student and probably me for not maintaining standards. After all, the correct response to the plea below is: you haven't come to class, why don't you just take your F and not put us all through this.

But, we'll meet and see how it goes.

1 comment:

Dan Albert said...

Okay, so commenting on your own blog might be like masturbation, but how else to update you with this exciting twist: the student in the post subsequently failed to attend the appointment she made. Then she showed up at the next class without any apology asking how she could do better. She said she'd not been on our WebCT course management system all term. Visibly upset, I don't know what she expected of me other than to pat her on the head and say it's okay and give her a passing grade. Not gonna to it.